Sunday, August 27, 2017

Artnotes: Fun on the Agenda

 Waterlilies on the Shady Side   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12  30 x 30 cm  

 Waterlilies by the Road  Blair Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12  30 x 30 cm  

 Waterlilies in the Sun   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  12 x 12  30 x 30 cm  

Fun on the Lake   Laurie Fox Pessemier   Acrylic/canvas  8 x 10   20 x 25 cm

Every morning my father asks, “what’s on the agenda today?”  I admit it annoys me a little, like, why need there be anything on my agenda?  What if the day just unfolded?  What’s on his agenda? He’s 90; not much happening, and I realize it’s my job to make fun.

I saw a blue-black horse in a field; a giant Newfoundland with a Chihuahua friend.  There’s a million things to see, to paint, to write about if I just get out there.   I kickstarted my brain with a large coffee.  My cousin, just two days before, mentioned there were some outstanding waterlilies on Winchester Lake, and there was a booksale in Norfolk.   We chose to visit the latter but on further thought decided not to increase our airline weight.  On the way back to our house, we passed the most wonderful pond full of waterlilies.

We picked up our paints and returned to the site.  It was even better the second time we saw it.  We set up our easels near the busy highway, and left Harika in the car.  We can leave her there now, because last night the temperature was a chilly 48 degrees, and we barely hit the 70s in high sun.

Most cars just sped by, but suddenly there was terrific honking and waving.  My Aunt, in her red Alfa Romeo convertible, was driving past.  She made a quick U-turn and she and her daughter came to see what we were painting.  This led to talk of lunch, and an impromptu, and most enjoyable day.
We’ve had many amazing days on this trip to America.  Spontaneous.  Fun is on the agenda.               

No comments: